faq on river surfing
Being able to swim is the only necessity Precondition What you have to bring with you. This is not only a prerequisite in case of an emergency, but also for participation in the course. Otherwise, no basic knowledge is needed.
If you don't have any surfing experience, it's a good idea to take the basic course first. Even if you are not yet confident in paddling, you will get the right tips in this course. From getting up on the board to finding your balance, everything is included here. That way you get amazing surf practice, and you get to surf some curves.
If you feel that you are skilled enough and paddling on the board is not a problem for you, then the Basic Sessions are just right for you. Experienced surfers will also have fun surfing here.
The Advance Sessions are for those who are already used to surfing in the river or already know how to do a deepwater launch (launch directly from the water).
For a detailed description of each course, see below.
At the beginning of the basic course, participants are instructed in the safety concept and then swim a small lap in the river to get a feel for the water. Afterwards, the participants are allowed to try their hand at the static rope to practise standing up and balancing on the board. The first turns can also be surfed in this way.
At all other courses, the participants will be instructed in the safety concept and then it's off to our SEPORSURF systems.
For a detailed description of each course, see below.
Important: The use of drugs, alcohol and medication is prohibited at the Swiss Riversurf Club. A good general state of health is a prerequisite.
A basic course or session lasts 2 hours with a maximum of 8 participants. If there are less than 4 participants, the duration is 1 hour.
An Advanced Session lasts 1 hour with a maximum of 4 participants.
Swimwear is best suited. We also recommend socks under the neoprene shoes for hygienic reasons.
All necessary safety regulations are met and the probability of something happening is very low. The surf coaches are trained lifeguards and the participants wear wetsuits that serve as buoyancy aids and rescue aids are available on the side of the river.
However, you should never underestimate the power of wild water, which is why every course participant receives an introduction to the safety concept at the beginning of the session. If in doubt, always attend the basic course first.
You don't need to worry about drifting in the river. You can swim out after just a few meters at any of our locations, with or without a board. Plus, if you miss an exit point, there are plenty of other ways to get out of the river.
Nevertheless, we have of course always positioned a security guard to keep an eye on you, just in case.
You must be at least 14 years old to surf the river with us. However, if you are between 14 and 18 years old, you need a written consent form from your parents or the person responsible for you.
In general, you should not swim or surf alone in the river. We have developed a safety concept that allows you to surf the river without any worries. What does this concept consist of?
- Trained coaches are always on site. Rescue badges are a MUST, plus there are regular training sessions where coaches maintain their level of practice.
- Before each course, participants receive a safety briefing on how to behave in a
The focus here is on early recognition and signalling of an emergency situation. The focus here is on early recognition and signalling of an emergency situation.
- We do not use loops or a board leash. There is a risk with straps and leashes that you can get caught and in rare cases pulled under the water, so we don't use them.
- As each of our systems is operated with a rope, which can also be cut at any time should something or someone get caught in it. Rope cutters are installed at each attachment point so that the ropes can be cut quickly and easily.
- Early warning Signaling towards other river users. Even though you can easily avoid other river users with any of our systems, we warn boats and swimmers with a 3×4 meter poster so that an avoidance situation does not even occur, and you can enjoy your surfing fun without compromise.
- Constant contact with the rescue services. We work closely with the respective rescue services on site. They can be on site within a few minutes.
- We do not surf in the event of flotsam, high water or other obstacles in the water.
- Lifeguards are always on site. If you drift too far and feel that you can't make it out of the water on your own, we have placed a lifeguard who will pull you out or swim with you to find a suitable exit.
Don't worry, we'll take care of the security.
(Complete safety concept available on request)
Each location has a description of how to get to the surf spot. Just go to the location where you want to surf and check the FAQ there.
- Bath towel and swimwear, that's all.
- We provide the surfboard, wetsuit, neoprene shoes and helmets.
- You can also bring your own equipment (surfboard, wetsuit, etc.)
- Something small to drink and eat, surfing makes you hungry. On cold days it is advisable to have a warm tea with you.
- Disclaimer: You will be required to sign a disclaimer in order to use the SEPORSURF systems. You can find the disclaimer hereand we have a copy on site at each course if you want to read it again.
- General Terms and Conditions: You can find detailed information about the payment and participation conditions in our General Terms and Conditions.
- Please note that the registration can only be changed or the course fee already paid can only be refunded according to our conditions of participation. You can find the detailed conditions of participation in our General Terms and Conditions.
Not always. We do not surf during high water or dangerous conditions (thunderstorms and lightning). In this case you will receive a cancellation by email or message at least 3 hours before your session. You will then have the opportunity to rebook your session.
It is also possible that a winch session booked by you will be exchanged for a bungee session or a SeporFlow session due to too much water flow, or that a bungee session and a SeporFlow session will be exchanged for a winch session due to too little water flow. Our offer takes place in nature and we have to adapt to it. We therefore ask for your understanding.
If there are less than 2 participants, we reserve the right to cancel the course. In this case you will receive a cancellation by email or message at least 3 hours before your session. You will have the possibility to change your session afterwards. It's best to always come in pairs 😉